Monday, August 24, 2015

Born to Be a Flower Girl

 Meres, in her flower girl role this weekend, reminded me of that verse in Esther...

And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” (Esther 4:14)

Totally NOT the application, but you get my point. Meres was born to be a flower girl.

The dress. The drama. The flower petals. The dancing. 

She marched down the aisle, and back up again. She even dropped a few petals. She grinned, and wasn't shy. And she even kept her shoes on for 6 whole hours. Which has to be a record for her...

She also managed to scrape her knee on the way to the drinking fountain between the photos and the ceremony. And she got blood on her dress. Seriously...nobody but her...

Thankfully, someone had the brilliant idea to line the entire dress. Which practically drove that person with the brilliant idea insane when she was pulling up the gather stitches. But, which brilliant lining also saved the dress. The blood got on the lining, but didn't soak through to the dress. I was able to rinse the blood out of the lining, and wring the lining dry, and it was just fine. 


She climbs a tree and scrapes her knee, her dress has got a tear;
She waltzes on her way to mass, and whistles on the stair;
And underneath her wimple she has curlers in her hair-
I've even heard her singing in the abbey....

Fun fact: Meres and her flower girl cousin were singing Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, in the line up to go down the aisle. I'm all kinds of grateful that they (she) didn't decide to belt it out as she walked down...

I don't put anything past that girl...

I decided to just do Meres hair in a simple bun, at the church. Anything else would have been a headache for me, and wouldn't have stayed in very well. Because my flower child is also my wild child. (see above paragraphs about the scraped knee...)

I think we were mutually and equally proud of that dress. A veritable princess...

Meres was asked to dance by one of her boy cousins-that is about 2 years older than her. He had some moves, and even dipped her a time or two. That's what I call future wedding fodder.

The wedding was beautiful. The food was delicious. (after all, I made the pulled pork). The dancing was fun. It was good to see some extended family and friends that we don't have an opportunity to connect with all that often. The kids maxed out the photo booth, and plenty of laughter was had by all.

Oh, did I mention that the white flower girl dress stayed spotless until (and only until) immediately after the second photo session after the wedding ceremony? We no sooner head to the car, than Meres puts her hands in dirt, and gets dirty hand prints on her skirt. And then she drinks red punch at the reception (didn't spill) and shakes the drops from her empty glass all over her dress. And then she also managed to get chocolate from the snickers bars on her dress too. Frankly, I'm amazed that it remained spotless through the key parts, and I'm not sweating the rest.

We didn't get home until after 10:30. Which really isn't terribly late, but considering that Mr. Hippie and I got up early to run 11 miles, and then we were all at the church at 1:00, it was a long day.

We made the tactical decision to turn off our alarm clocks for Sunday morning and just sleep in. We ended up skipping church completely. We all slept in, had a leisurely morning, and then went out to Chinese for lunch. Mr. Hippie dropped off his tux, and BMV bought a book at Barnes and Noble with his birthday gift card. We ended up back at home, napping for almost an hour. The day was topped off with brats, a bike ride, and an early bed time. It was a much needed day of rest.

Happy Monday!