Friday, January 23, 2015

A Superbowl Broiled Pizza Burger Recipe

I've decided that I am going to share my favorite internet reads of the week here on Fridays. I read a vast array of things, so I am going to try and share 4-5 articles on a variety of topics. They may be funny. They may not be. I will give a teaser so you don't go into anything blind.
because: new lens, and cookies...
IHOD: The Art of Getting Dressed. Because I totally imbibe the idea of getting dressed. And dressing for the occasion. I may only be sitting at the library on my working Thursdays, but I always dress professionally. And I only camp out in yoga pants all day when I am sick or depressed.

Huff Post: I'm Not Pregnant, It's Just My Belly (warning: some language). As a person who gets asked monthly if I am pregnant, I loved this post about loving our non-pregnant bellies (and bodies).

An Open Letter to All the People Writing/Sharing Open Letters About What's Wrong with the Church by Witney Capps. My news feeds have been flooded lately with these kinds of what's wrong with the church posts. I think this author captures my feelings much more succinctly and accurately than I'd be able to articulate to you.

20 things I want my Daughters to Understand About Being a Woman by Your Mom has a Blog. Especially #1, 4, 18, 19.

7 Ways to Hate a Book by Modern Mrs. Darcy. Yes, yes and yes again. I'd add 2 more ways-"letter/email" format and bratty protagonists.

I love how you can easily tell what I was focusing if life would only be so clear....
So, the other day, Mr. Hippie and I were discussing healthy eating. The thing is, we aim to eat healthy foods-fruits and vegetables, and the like, most of the time. Which allows us room to eat the not quite as healthy things at other times. Because, obviously, I'm not just baking and photographing cookies...

A good framework for us is about 80/20. Good, healthy food about 80% of the time, and then less healthy options the remaining 20%. It is a goal that is workable and sustainable for our family.

We eat things like stir-fry and we eat things like Easy Broiled Pizza Burgers. They aren't dripping in calories, but they aren't exactly the picture of health either. They are the picture of ease and deliciousness.

I was able to whip these up one evening between grocery shopping and heading out to Bible Study. It was filling and enjoyable, and everyone was happy to eat their share.

I used Velveeta, since I had it. It worked marvelously.

I am pretty sure this would be a great recipe for Superbowl next Sunday.

Easy Broiled Pizza Burgers
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1-1/2 Tbsp minced onion
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 (14-1/2 oz) cans diced tomates, undrained
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp onion salt
15 slices processed American cheese, divided
6 hamburger buns, split

-Mince onion.
-In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink. Drain. Sprinkle with cornstarch.
-Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, salt, and onion salt. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Add 9 cheese slices, cook and stir until cheese is melted and blended.
-Preheat broiler to high.
-Cut remaining cheese slices diagonally. Place split buns cut side up, on a baking sheet. Spoon about 1/4 cup of meat mixture onto each bun and top with each with half a cheese slice.
-Broil 6-8” from the heat for 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
-Feeds 6. Great with potato chips, and carrots and celery.

How's that for any easy-peasy, delicious weekend recipe?