Last week we talked about my favorite picture books to read aloud to my kids. (here) Today, I am sharing my favorite chapter books to read aloud with my kids. There is quite the genre scope here. Take 'em or leave 'em. Again, all the title are links to Amazon. Anyone wanting to get there Christmas shopping wrapped up early?
1) Harry Potter series by J K Rowling. I know these books are controversial, but I love them. They are well written and the story grows with your kids.
2) Little House on the Prairie Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Timeless and historically based. An enjoyable read appropriate for all ages.
3) Paddington Bear by Michael Bond-these are hilarious. I think I sometimes get the humor more than my kids do.
4) Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne-Again-absolutely hilarious! If your kids like the movie, they will like the books. It is very similar.
5) Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis- enjoyable stories, without the extra junk from the movies. I.e. the mist and love triangles. My dad read these books to us several times while growing up.
6) (not shown) The Adventures of Dr. Dolittle by Hugh Lofting. These books were written in the 1920s but are set in the 1800s. They are funny. (can you tell I like funny books?) My kids were riveted when we read them earlier this year.
7) Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit (not shown) by JRR Tolkien. This man was a master story teller. His words paint pictures better than some artists. Maybe most artists...
8) Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott. Slow start, very detailed, but chock full of history in fiction format. With lots of references to Prince John, King Richard and even Robin Hood.
What are your favorite chapter books to read to your kids? I gleaned a lot of great ideas last week from FB comments. Throw some more my way!
For many more great chapter book ideas, check out...