Make a list of 30 meals your family regularly eats. So simple. So helpful.
(before I go any further, I would recommend checking out Judith's blog. She has the heart of a Titus 2 older woman. "teach the younger women to love their husbands, their children and their homes." That's how she writes her blog. You may just be encouraged)
This is what I find happens when I go to make my two week menus...I hit a brain fog, and can't remember what in the world we eat. 'Cause obviously we DO eat-week in, and week out.
So, I tend to rely on about 15-20 old stand-bys, until I get bored out of my gourd, which then causes me to start perusing cookbooks for new recipes.
|My personal library of Cookbooks. I use them all...|
I've done this on a small scale for new recipes I want to try. But this is going to be helpful for everything.
Then, when it comes to menu planning I can pick a variety, revisit some forgotten favorites, and work in some new recipes to try.
Here is my list. I've included links for recipes I have shared. I'll be popping it in a spreadsheet so I can easily add to it. *denotes new recipe
|Found this beauty for $2 at Goodwill. Perfect for a November cup of tea.|
1) Chicken Scarpariello (here)- chicken thighs, cherry tomatoes, brats, cremini (fwnd)
2) Chicken Coq'au'Vin- chicken thighs, red wine, pearl onions, white mushrooms (fwnd)
3) Green Chile Skillet Chicken- bschk, green chiles, fresh cilantro, ch. tom (fwnd99)*
4) Slow Cooker Latin Chicken- thighs, chipotle chilies adobo sauce, black beans, roasted red pepper,
2 lbs sweet potato, fresh cilantro (fwnd119)
5) Greek Lasagna- lasagna noodles, feta, shrimp, fresh parsley (fwnd 219)*
6) Chicken Enchiladas (here)- bschk, salsa, tortillas, cheese
7) Poppy Seed Chicken(here)- bschk, sour cream, poppy seeds, butter crackers, cream soup (f-it, e-it)
8) Sausage Tomato Soup- sausage, gr pepper, salsa, m cheese (f-it, e-it 64)*
9) Pot Roast- beef roast, cream soup, carrots, onion soup mix, wine
10) Shepherd's Pie- gr. beef, cream soup, potatoes
11) Mac'n'cheese- pasta, 6 c cheese (red check)
12) Sloppy Joe- gr. beef, tomato sauce, ham. buns
13) Pulled Pork- pork, buns, wine, tomato paste
14) Sausage & Saur Kraut- (self explanatory)
15) Beef Stroganoff-beef roast, mushrooms, cream soup, s cream (f-it, e-it 74)
16) Porky Pine Meatballs-gr. beef, tomato soup (red check)
17) Lasagna-noodles, m cheese, p cheese, cottage cheese, sauce
18) Spaghetti- gr beef, t sauce, t paste, gr. pepper
19) Burritos- gr. beef, y cheese, tortillas, t paste, brown gravy mix, taco seasoning, chili beans
20) Meatball Sub Casserole- meatballs, m cheese, sp sauce, cr cheese, fr bread (f-it, e-it 83)
21) Tuna Casserole- tuna, pasta, cream soup
22) Pork Pitas- pork, pitas, gr. pepper, mayo, lemon juice
23) Scalloped Potatoes & Ham- ham, potatoes, milk, cheese
24) Chicken Marengo- chicken, gr pepper, mush., egg noodles, black olives (f-it, e-it 99)
25) Chicken Angelo- chicken, mushrooms, m cheese (f-it, e-it 102)
26) Chicken Scallopine- chicken, mushrooms, bacon (f-it, e-it 104)
27) Edie's Paella- bsch, it. sausage, black, pinto, gr. northern, fr rosemary (f-it, e-it 107)
28) Spinach Pesto(here)- spinach, chicken, pasta, pine nuts, p cheese, olive oil (f-it, e-it 128)
29) Pork Tenderloin- pork, pepper, mushroom, t sauce, pasta,
30) Spaghetti-t. sauce, t. paste, gr. pepper, noodles, gr beef
31) Champagne Chicken(here)- chicken, shallots, linguine, champagne, tarragon
31) Pasta, Chicken, Feta, Kalamata,
32) Orecchiette w/ Spicy Sausage(here)- pasta, sausage, spring onion, ch. tomatoes, par. cheese, cr. mushrooms
33) Souvlaki-pork, onion, peppers, soy sauce, lemons
34) Ravioli- ravioli, apples, walnuts, par. cheese,
35) Chicken Chili (here)- chicken, gr. tabasco, cream, gr. chilies, gr. n beans, black beans
36) Mixed Bean Chili (here)- chicken, bl beans, pinto, gr. northern, salsa
37) Stuffed Chicken(here)-thighs, feta, cr, cheese, kalamata olives
38) Chicken Provencal- bschk, bacon, wh wine, kal. olives
39) Mediterranean Chicken-bschk, kal olives, cherry tomatoes,
40) Pork Tacos- gr. pork, mango, red onion, fr. cilantro, chipotle in adobo, mj cheese, lime juice, lettuce
41) Chicken Soup-thighs, carrots, egg noodles
42) Bean Soup-Ham bone, navy beans, carrots
43) Pea Soup-ham bone, peas, carrots
44) Charro Beans-dry pinto, bacon, gr pepper, Mexican beer, cilantro
45) Beef Rogan Josh-beef, Rogan josh seasoning, yogurt, tomato, cucumber
46) Chicken Curry-chicken, t paste, yogurt, fresh ginger, tomato, cucumber
47) Golden Chicken-chicken, green olives, lemon, rice
48) Beef Pie-gr beef, potato, veg., gravy or cream soup, pie crust
49) Chicken and rice (here)- chicken, rice, cream soup, onion soup mix
50) Chicken Tacos-chicken, corn, black beans, limes, cilantro
51) Potato Soup(here)-potato, dill, sour cream, y cheese, bacon
|All set for a couple hours of WC audit prep...tea, water, M&Ms, highlighter, bank statements, archaic computer|
Moral of the story...we eat a ton of chicken. Probably well over half these recipes contain chicken. But its cheap. So, its okay. My family hasn't complained.
Now I am all ready to make my list on Monday. I can pick several recipes we haven't had in a while. Oh, except its Thanksgiving this shopping cycle, so that will be a bunch of traditional recipes, that only see the light of day this time of year.
I want to challenge you to make your own list of recipes. Try for 20-30 to work into a regular rotation. Pick 5 new recipes to try this winter and plan to work them into your menu once every week or two.
Here's a new one to get you started...
1 pound sausage ravioli
2 T olive oil
1/2 c walnuts, roughly chopped
1 crisp apple (such as Braeburn or Gala) cut into match sticks
1/2 c fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 grated Parmesan
-Cook ravioli according to package directions.
-Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts and cook 4-5 minutes stirring often, until lightly toasted and fragrant.
-Add the apple, parsley, 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t pepper and toss to combine. Spoon over ravioli and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Quick (20 minutes total) and delicious. Serves 4.
|Arrived from Dance Parties in the Rain, right during paperwork time. Perfect reward for sticking too it.|
Have you ever made a list of regularly used recipes? How often do you try a new recipe? What recipe do you yourself find making over and over again, just because it is easy?
Share your making a menu ideas in the comments so we all can learn from each other. Have a wonderful weekend!